"You cannot open a book without learning something"
Confucius

domingo, 8 de diciembre de 2013

A Poem for each Intelligence

Hello explorers!

Today I am going to talk about the type of poems we saw in class with Raquel during the last weeks analyzing the multiple intelligences to work on each one.


List poems

These kinds of poems are composed by a list of things. At the beginning, will be helpful thinking about a question trying to answer it writing the list. For example: What strange things have I dreamed? The next step that I made and was helpful was writing a brainstorming of strange things that I remember to dream in my life. Finally I started to write the list of things.

Have a look the structure of list poems:

Beginning
List of things
List of things
List of things
List of things
List of things
Ending

List poems often rhyme but not necessarily and they are usually funny.
These poems are excellent for children who have Linguistic Intelligence; because they are word smart and they enjoy writing and talking about things.

Here you have an example written by me using Storybird platform:


Haiku

Haiku is a very short form of Japanese poetry. This name was given by the Japanese writer Masaoka Shiki at the end of the 19th century. The poem use just three lines with 17 syllables in total following this structure:

5 syllables
7 syllables
5 syllables

Moreover, haikus are related to an image usually nature image or related with seasons. So, the first thing you have to do to create a Haiku Poem is to look for an image related with nature or the seasons, then you have to write the three lines taken into account the number of syllables you can use in each part.

These poems are very useful for children who have Naturalistic Intelligence; because they are nature smart and they love writing and talking about plants, animals, etc.

Here you have an example of the Haiku poem I wrote using Storybird:


Riddle poems

Riddle poems give the opportunity to work HOTS (High order thinking skills) because children work creativity writing them, but also the children who have to guess the riddle poem, have to using their cognition in order to guess the answer following clues. For example, we can work on mathematical concepts using riddle poems.

To start with, is easier if you start with the answer. First of all, try to look for something to write about, an object for example and later start giving clues using your imagination and creative descriptions.

These poems are perfect for children who have Logical Intelligence; because they are number smart and as I said before, we can make riddle poems on mathematical concepts.

Here you have my Riddle Poem:


Letter poem

This poem starts by writing a normal letter (Dear…) and has a similar structure, also the end of the poem is like in a letter (Yours sincerely, best wishes, regards…).

The main difference between a letter and a letter poem is the creativity used to write it. Probably who is writing the letter is not a person, to whom the letter is directed is something and not someone and moreover the purpose of the letter which could be strange. Here is where children can exploit creativity.

These poems are excellent for children who have Linguistic Intelligence; because they are word smart and they enjoy writing and talking about things.

My letter poem written in Storybird is the following:


Shape poem

A shape poem, as its name indicates, is a poem which follows the shape of the object described in the poem. It is sometimes referred to as visual poetry in which the visual elements are as important as the text.

It may seem easy to write but is a little bit difficult because you have to write the length this shape allows you.

This kind of poem is fantastic for children who have visual or spatial intelligence because these children are good looking at pictures like map reading.

Here you have an example of a shape poem, but in this case it is not written by me:


These are some of the poems you can use in your classroom with children.
-          Do you want to share with us another type of poem to use with children?
-          Which is your favorite poem?
-          Is your favorite poem related with your multiple intelligence?

Thank you for share your opinion with us,

See you soon!
Nuria








3 comentarios:

  1. Hi Nuria Explorer!
    First of all I have to say you that you're a really good poet! ;)
    From my point of view, the relation between the poems and the multiple intelligences is amazing. I think that it is a good point to take into account as language teachers! (foreign or not)
    In my case, my favourite poems are Haiku poems. I love the poems related to nature because it is a very big topic and you can represent lots of feelings through nature elements. The problem is that my multiple intelligence is not naturalistic intelligence! :( My multiple intelligence is the visual one; I also have to say that, for me, shape poem are very creative and the most original!
    Talking about the storybird platform, I would like to say that it has been very useful for me. I'm sure that I'm going to use it in the future.
    To conclude, I have to say that poems are a very good tool to use in class because they can develop the creativity, the knowledge of contents, they can promote communication in class and we can use them to share feelings and thoughts.
    Thank you for your post, Nuria!
    See you :)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hello Nuria!

    I agree with Patricia: your poems are really good. Storybird has been very useful in order to inspire our writing compositions. It's not the same to start writing in a blank sheet that with a illustration beside. It helps to imagination.

    Relate poems to multiple intelligencies is amazing, children find a useful and complete form to express theirselves in poetry. But to work in poetry in a foreign language with Primary students could be frustrating for some of them and a difficult way to communicate their thinkings. I think if we apply this resource in a spanish Primary Education classroom must be based on very easy own compositions and reading it, more than producing. But if there are children with facility to create poetry in a foreign language give the opportunity.

    As a personal contribution, I think that shape poems give several scaffolding to understand the poem and could be very useful thanks to its visual support. It has no metrical rules, also no topic limitations then it's a very free compositiion and easier to create it. On the other hand, not all poems are easy to synthesize in a drawing, it is the tricky point of this kind of poems.

    Good post and have a nice week!
    María.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hello Nuria, congratulations for you blog!
    I really enjoyed the activity with the poems and now I realize that work with poems in the classroom can be more useful than I expected. Most people think that to do an activity with poems means that they must be written in rhyme but we have learnt this year that the rhyme is not necessary to create a poem and this is from my point of view the key point to motivate the students to write a poem. I am saying that from my own experience, because when Raquel told us to write four poems I was really scared as I consider myself horrible with rhymes. Regardless of it, I started to work with the poems and what a surprise how easy was it! I started with the list poem because I think that is the easier and the most motivating one as you just have to do a list of things that you like or you do not like or whatever you wish. Then I decided to write the letter poem related to my list poem, so my motivation was still very high. After I had written two poems with good results (from my point of view) I was not scared at all to write the two poems left. Therefore, I did not feel pressure anymore and I could feel confidence to write the Haiku and the riddle poem which requires some more creativity.
    Very nice post about poem Nuria!

    ResponderEliminar