"You cannot open a book without learning something"
Confucius

viernes, 22 de noviembre de 2013

Using StoryBird platform to crate stories

Hello Literary Explorers! 

Today, I´m going to talk you about STORYBIRD, the tool that Raquel showed us some weeks ago in order to create books and stories.


Storybird is a platform to create visual stories to share with the rest of the world. The story you make, it is organized in a book with illustrations and animations of different artists which make your story more attractive. In the platform, there are millions of stories created by teachers, students and more.

Why can we use this platform in our classrooms?

Because creating a story, our students work their thinking skills. First of all, our students can discover other stories written by other people or students of the same age and it can give them a clue to write new stories. At the same time they learn from others we can give them a bit of scaffolding to start writing new stories. Moreover, this platform encourages communication by connecting with others, this is a great way to promote socialization and students can know new students by sharing their stories and it is secure and safe. And also because it is free, students don´t have to spend money using this platform and it is a great idea to encourage reading.


In the platform, there are a section for teachers which is a tool that they consider inspirational because of the gorgeous illustrations, simple because is very easy to use it, social because students can share and comment on each other´s work, shareable because stories can be shared via email, downloaded, etc., and as they say it just works.

The platform also provides a large range of topics in order to make you easier to find the stories you like. It is divided into these categories: adventure, animals, diary, dreams, education, family, etc. And also you can choose the age: preschool, kids, adults, etc.

Here you have some examples of stories shared in Storybird.

 

Here you have also a video tutorial of Storybird if you have any doubts of how to use it.


In my opinion, Storybird is a great tool to use with our children, because we can use it as a didactic resource in a bilingual context, for example:

- Creating stories with different topics related to the course content, writing stories about characters. Inventing stories about cross-cutting themes: friendship, care for the environment, equality, etc.

- Developing short stories in English to work language, vocabulary books, books about animals, plants, etc.

- To illustrate poems, fragments of literary, familiar stories, etc.

What do you think about this tool?

I still creating my poems with Storybird, but as soon as possible I will share with you my literary creations but also I would like to read your creations.

Keep in touch explorers!

Nuria




4 comentarios:

  1. Hi Nuria! You already know that I believe that Storybird has a great potential as a classroom tool. I think that your post is really organised and clear, and I'm sure that many of your classmates may find helpful to watch the tutorial you've included. You're doing a great job with this blog. Keep on working hard :) Raquel F

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hello Nuria! I liked so much your post. I also think that the platform Story bird is a very useful resource for teachers with multiple uses to work with in classroom. I was agree with Raquel when she told us that in schools there are not the best methods to awake the interest in children about poetry, and in my opinion this kind of resource like the story bird are innovative tools that teachers should use to look for other ways to encourage students to read and write poems, a way in which the students fell that they can do it, this is the point!
    I have already do my poems in the platform it was as you explain in your post, there are a lot of authors with so many pictures and they are very inspirational. It is not difficult to create poems (simples of course), you only have to think a topic, write a brainstorming of ides and words related with the topic and finally, you can start to create it.
    As you mention in your post is useful tool to improve the communication between students and a way to learn vocabulary too. I have though one way to use this platform in class could be by making a little show every month in which groups of students have to create their own poetry books as we are doing now .Every month among all the class will select the best poetry books and then we can build a representation of the winner’s poems. And also do bigger shows with competitions with other classes. This is one idea, I am sure there are a lot of them, I hope you like it! Kisses

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. What a wonderful post Nuria!
    I absolutely agree with you Nuria. Storybird is an amazing tool. It has many uses. Actually after reading your post I can see that it has many other uses.
    I like the idea of creating stories related with the content of other subjects. That could help students to acquire knowledge and to relate the topics.
    I also like the idea of create stories in English to acquire vocabulary and to practice for example grammar structures.
    I would like to see your storybird book. I have created mine one and I have enjoy so much doing it. Although i don´t like to write poetry because I never find the words I want or I need, I think that thanks’ to this tool, It has been easy to me.
    For sure I think I will use it in class with children.
    Congratulations for your post. !!

    ResponderEliminar