"You cannot open a book without learning something"
Confucius

jueves, 26 de septiembre de 2013

Language Learning through Storytelling

In a CLIL environment we can use storytelling as a tool of communication´s development with children. In this post, I am going to explain you know about what I have learnt in class with Raquel Fernández, our teacher of this subject at the Centro Universitario Cardenal Cisneros and what I have explored by my own about this topic.
 
First of all, I am going to explain you a little bit what CLIL is. This term means Content and Language Integrated Learning and it refers to teaching subjects such as science, history and geography to students through a foreign language, created for the need to attend not only to the linguistic, content, communicative and cognitive components involved in this approach but also to intercultural factors.
Stories can prove to be effective tools for children to develop those essential principles involved within a CLIL approach that include not only language and content but also communication, cognition and culture. Stories, hence, can contain the key 4Cs to make any CLIL experience succeed (Coyle, 1990).
 
This week, I have learnt a new way of telling stories following CLIL and I discovered a children´s novelist called Michael Rosen, who is a British poet and author of 140 books.
 
Michael have some interpretations of his stories in youtube like that one, where I could appreciate that he is very onomatopoeic and very expressive making gestures and sounds representing his stories. It helps to develop the skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing and we can use them with children. 
 
 
We´re going on a bear hunt
 
After watching this video in class, we did one activity which consisted of representing the story of Michael Rosen – We´re going on a bear hunt.

First of all, the teacher divided the class into different groups, one group was the family who were going on a bear hunt, another group had to represent the grass, another group the river, etc., making the movements and sounds of these places and here you have the result:
 
 
My opinion about this activity is that we can use stories in a different way, is good for children to improve their reading skills but also is important to improve another kind of skills such as social skills or communication skills not only with their teacher but also with their peers, therefore, as a future teachers we should make an extra effort in order to integrate different skills in our activities. This allows them to construct knowledge and express ideas, even with the very limited language they may have at the early stages of a CLIL programme. Moreover, stories can help learners increase language fluency and advance in their content knowledge.

 
 

 

 

4 comentarios:

  1. Hi Nuria! I love your post topic. I think that class session was really fun for all of us, but also I think that it taught us many things. I must confess I love Michael Rosen since that day, and I am sure that in the future I will use some of his videos with my students.

    I think it is a wonderful idea and, as you say, it is possible to integrate many different skills in the same activity using this type of videos. It's amazing how through gestures and onomatopoeias he develops a story in which the child is not going to lose and inadvertently will learn vocabulary and grammatical structures.

    Moreover, with the song we worked on in class, we had the opportunity to see the amount of resources and activities that can be made from this type of videos. I think also it is possible to adapt to any primary course, even to the first cycle, providing them great scaffoldings besides the gestures and the sounds of Michael Rosen.

    Finally, I have to say I love your video but I think that we should not forget the great history of the "Chocolate Cake"!! :)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BxQLITdOOc

    Greetings and thanks Nuria!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Wonderful post, Nuria! It contains all the elements a good post should have. Congrats!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Good morning Nuria 
    I have chosen your post to comment on because it has been one of the most interesting for me, so first of all congratulations!

    I completely agree with you when you refer to storytelling as a tool of communication’s development with children. We have to take into account that we will be one of the main characters for children in the work that involve them to communicate with others, and this could be a solution to do it through a funny way.

    I think you are right when you said that stories develops not only content and language, it develops also communication, cognition and culture. Through an apparently short, easy and funny story, it has different objectives that teacher (as we will be) have to get.

    Michael Rosen has been one of the reasons for what I have chosen your post. I didn’t know anything about him until two weeks ago. I have to recognize that the first time I saw one of his videos I thought he was a little bit crazy but when the video finished I could understand that he was wonderful and I had been on a bear hunt for almost five minutes. He is very onomatopoeic and expressive, as you said, and that’s why he is able to show us everything in a few moments.

    From my point of view storytelling develops different skills in only one story, so we have to practise how we can be good storytellers because it will be a good tool in some years. I also think that class with Raquel helped us a lot to think about in in a CLIL context.

    As I said before, congratulations Nuria. I am waiting to read your next post!

    Laura G.

    ResponderEliminar